Back To School Bash
An Evangelistic Event
By Steve Parr
As the summer months begin to wind down and families are back from vacations and weekend get-aways, and the weather is still conducive to outdoor activities, you may want to consider “Back to School” activity that can serve as an evangelistic outreach opportunity. Here is a sketch of a six-week plan to help you to get ready and make the most of the opportunity.
Six Weeks Out:
- You should determine the date by this point. The Saturday prior or immediately following the first day of school in your community is the best option. Late afternoon is the best time of the day.
- Begin placing the date in front of your congregation by any and all means from this point forward.
- Enlist team coordinators who in turn can enlist teams to assist. You can customize but here are some examples: Food Coordinator, Prayer Coordinator, Registration Coordinator, Activities Coordinators (Younger Children, Older Children, Students, Families), Giveaways Coordinator, Set Up/Clean Up Coordinator, Promotion Coordinator, Program Coordinator, and Follow Up Coordinator. Do you need each of these roles filled? The answer is “no.” A larger congregation will have more coordinators and teams than a smaller congregation. The four teams in italics represent the minimum but get as many people involved in planning as possible. You can also combine some roles in smaller congregations.
Five Weeks Out:
- Meet with all coordinators to pray and cast vision.
- Give coordinators other meeting dates.
- Coordinators enlist teams to aid in their assignment.
- Promotion Coordinator initiates production of flyers and promotion pieces.
- Prayer Coordinator initiates prayer emphasis.
- Order supplies/materials needed.
Four Weeks Out:
- Promotion team begins advertising in community by all means.
- All coordinators meet with their teams to brainstorm and plan.
Three Weeks Out:
- All coordinators meet together to pray, update, brainstorm, and continue preparation.
Two Weeks Out:
- Promotion team initiates plan to make sure every family is called including members, prospects, and community leaders.
One Week Out:
- All coordinators meet one more time to compare notes and finalize details.
- Get as many promo flyers into the community as possible.
The Big Day:
- Register everyone. No ticket (hand stamp, wrist band, etc) cannot eat or participate in any activity without registering including members guests alike.
- Implement plan for sharing the gospel [brief devotion, testimony, video, demonstration (like an illusionist or celebrity), or intentional one-on-one sharing.
The Week After:
- Send letter to all guests.
- Make contact with all who made decisions, expressed interest, or were Guests. The most effective approach is to go to their homes.